A savvy collection of craft projects & tutorials, recipes, & fun things to do with your kids!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Simple Handprint Snowman Keepsake Ornament

I wanted to come up with a super cute, yet cost effective, keepsake ornament that my preschoolers could give to their parents for Christmas. This would also be a cherished gift for grandparents.

Supplies Needed:

Clear plastic ornaments (I found a 4 pack at Michael's for $2.50)
Silver Tinsel
White acrylic paint
sponge paint brush
paint markers in black, orange, and other assorted colors for the scarfs (I used the Sharpie brand)
spray sealer
ribbon
poem


Step 1: Wash and thoroughly dry child's hand. Use the sponge paint brush to apply a good amount of the white paint to child's palm and fingers.

Step 2: Set the ornament on the child's palm and have him close his fingers around the sides of the ornament. Allow the ornament to dry.

Step 3: Fill the ornament with tinsel.

Step 4: Using the paint markers, add detail to the snowmen. I did a face and buttons on every snowman, and added a top hat and scarf to every other snowman. Allow to dry.

Step 5: Spray a coat of clear sealer on the ornament and allow to dry overnight.

Step 6: Attach a copy of the following poem to the ornament with a ribbon:

Five Little Snowmen all in a line,
They might look familiar because the handprint is mine.
Snowmen will melt cause they're just made of snow,
Cherish this handprint because I will grow!

Have the child add his name and the year on the bottom of the tag.

That's it! A fabulous keepsake any parent or grandparent would love!










Tip Junkie handmade projects

Link Party

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is such a great idea! As a teacher it can be hard to think of something to make, this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sweet idea! I thought of making a hand print ornament but the snowmen make it even better. Now I'm seriously considering doing this and making them into little gifts to a few family members from my daughter.

    I'd love it if you would link this post up to my crafting blog - (vb-creations.blogspot.com). I'm collecting holiday-themed posts.

    ReplyDelete